Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Another Christmas Meme

This is another Christmas meme I ran across.

1. Hot chocolate or apple cider? Hot chocolate. My new fave is Stephen's Hazel Nut. Yum!

2. Turkey or Ham? For Christmas, it is ham. We have a new thing though, of doing a turkey dinner for New Year's Day. I get a turkey for Christmas from my boss and his wife and that has become a good time to cook it.

3. Do you get a fake or a real, you-cut-it-yourself Christmas tree? Real, cut-it-ourselves-tie-it-to-the-top-of-the-car-drive-home-hoping-it-doesn't-fall-off tree. This year we cut a blue spruce, which is one of my faves.

4. Decorations on the outside of your house? No. All we have in our yard are huge 20 foot tree and no fences or railings to decorate.

5. Snowball fights or sledding? Neither. I’ll stay inside, drink hot chocolate, and watch "It's a Wonderful Life."

6. Do you enjoy going downtown shopping? I do. I went to Chicago one year and shopped downtown there. The place where we live, however, doesn't really have much of a downtown.

7. Favorite Christmas song? "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day," "Silent Night," "The Christmas Song." I could go on and on...

8. How do you feel about Christmas movies? I have a specific list:

  • Miracle on 34th Street (the old one)
  • Holiday Inn
  • Holiday Affair
  • White Christmas
  • Home Alone
  • It's a Wonderful Life.
I don't actually sit down and watch them from beginning to end but I have them on while I am decorating, wrapping, cooking, writing cards, etc.

9. When is it too early to start listening to Christmas music? I like to hear it starting around Thanksgiving week. But, truthfully, I listen to my favorite Christmas recordings occasionally all year round.

10. Stockings before or after presents? Before. We do stockings, breakfast (due to a diabetic husband who needs to eat, then presents.

11. Carolers, do you or do you watch and listen to them? I went caroling with our youth group. We sang outside. I haven't had carolers come to my house in recent memory. If they did, I would listen to them from the doorway.

12. Go to someone else’s house or they come to you? Neither. No one comes, we don't go. Not on Christmas day or Christmas Eve, anyway.

13. Do you read the Christmas Story? Yes.

14. What do you do after presents and dinner? Mostly relaxing, picking up a little and watching any new movies we may have received.

15. What is your favorite holiday smell? Cookies baking, I guess.

16. Ice skating or walking around the mall? Neither. I try to stay out of the mall, and I don't ice scate.

17. Do you open a present or presents on Christmas Eve, or wait until Christmas day? Christmas day. K has off and on opened one on Christmas Eve.

18. Favorite Christmas memory? I have a lot of great Christmas memories. The one I usually reference when asked this question was the last Christmas I was with all of my siblings at my parents' house. It was the year we were supposed to light a candle for Poland. (1981, 82?) It's Christmas Eve that I really remember, playing games, eating chips and dip and Christmas cookies...My brother blowing out the candle. "Helga???" Good time, good times.

19. Favorite Part about winter? Does not compute.

20. Ever been kissed under mistletoe? Yes. A few times.

Happy Holidays!

No comments: