Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Sewing Machine


So, on a blog called "Have Sewing Machine, Will Travel," you might wonder if there would be any posts on sewing. Well, yeah! There will be. I thought I would first talk about The Machine.

My first sewing machine was a Brother. I got it for Christmas my junior year of high school. It did straight stitch, zigzag, and a quirky, funky stretch stitch. Since it had zigzag, I could make buttonholes, and I could fake a pretty good hem stitch. I took it to college, moved it to a half a dozen states, sewed for friends and family, did lots of mending, made clothes, works of art, countless curtains, quilts, and costumes. It was with this sewing machine that I gained the motto, "Have sewing machine, will travel!" After 25 years of hard use it literally fell. a. part. Literally. I kid you not.

Fortunately for me, right around this time I was gifted with a substantial amount of money as a sort of pre-inheritance, so I went shopping for the sewing machine of my dreams. A Bernina.

I was hoping to find a good used one, but that was not to be. I was, however, given a really good deal on a new Bernina 1008. This sewing machine is the love of my life. It is my soul mate. It has 16 stitches, 6 feet, a built-in button holer, an open arm. I heart this sewing machine. With it I have taught my daughter to sew, mended dozens of pairs of jeans, replaced several zippers, made clothes, prom dresses, marching band uniforms, color guard flags, receiving blankets, and even machine quilted a quilt. It can do anything I want to do.

And, oh, I have such great plans! More quilts, more curtains, more zippers, more clothes, more fun!

No comments: