Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Unsewing

Saturday I went to the beach. It was a breezy, cloudless day. The water was a dark, dark blue. The waves were rolling, and there was a huge contingent of sailing vessels on the horizon. There were people playing in the waves, and couple of sand sculptors pouring and packing and scraping away.

I love to watch the people coming and going. It is interesting to see what other folks find necessary to bring to the beach. As for me, I bring a chair, an umbrella, and a bag o' stuff.

In my bag I have a towel, (more for covering parts the umbrella doesn't shade than for drying off, because remember, I don't swim and I don't like being in the sun,) a water bottle, my cell phone (for the time, as there is rarely a signal at the beach,) something to read and something to do.

This time I brought both books I am reading and a bag of unsewing.

I have been looking for a "take-along" project for a while, something portable to take along when I may have to wait or have some down time away from home. I have not (yet) been carried up in the hexie craze that has been rampant on the internet this summer, nor have I been to JoAnn's to get the Kona White I need to start a little house quilt (scroll down for it).

I do, however have those red and blue quilt blocks (UFO # 3) that I want to revamp. And a seam ripper and a few quilt blocks are quite portable, in a zippy baggie. So, that is what I did. I brought some nine-patch blocks that need a bit of tweaking and did some unsewing at the beach. I got a lot more done that I thought I would, and I enjoyed it immensely. I am no stranger to the seam ripper, and I don't mind doing it. It is always worthwhile in the end.

No comments: