Thursday, February 5, 2009

Making Waterbed Sheets

In addition to the fact that we have no dishwasher or icemaker, we sleep in a waterbed. Yes, we do live in the dark ages. We bought the bed when we were first married, and we would love to replace it with a real bed but that hasn't happened yet.

Waterbed sheets are expensive, if they even make them anymore. Who knows?

Many, many years ago, before I was married, I saw a demo on making waterbed sheets. I didn't have a waterbed at the time but a couple of my siblings did, and since I am the designated sewer in the family, I took notes.

You can make a set of queen sized waterbed sheets from two double size flat sheets.

You used to have to trim a double sheet to make a sheet to fit a queen-sized waterbed. Now, in the age of downsizing, there is no trimming necessary. (I pre-wash everything first.)

The nice thing about making your own waterbed sheets is that you can customize them to your own particular quirks needs. For example, waterbed sheets are typically attached together (top and bottom sheet) at the bottom in the center. When I make waterbed sheets for my sister and her husband, she likes them attached all the way across the bottom and up the sides along the corner pocket. That way they stay tucked in better. However, when I make them for my husband and me, I do not attach them at all. When my husband is asleep, he will pull on the top sheet and if it gets stuck or doesn’t come up as far as he thinks it should, he (asleep) will keep pulling. And pulling. And pulling. RRRRRip!!! I didn’t learn this right away. It took a time or two. Or three. So now when he pulls there is no ripping involved. I just tuck them back in when I make the bed the next day. Much easier than mending.

So, all I do to make a bottom sheet for a waterbed is cut two 24” squares of fabric (Old sheets or pillowcases or muslin or any fabric will work. The pockets do not show so they can be made out of anything.) diagonally across so I have four big triangles. I hem the long edge with a 5/8 inch rolled hem and zigzag the other two edges. Then I pin a pocket right sides together to each corner of the full sized flat sheet and round the corners. A Tuperware Fix ‘n Mix bowl is the perfect size curve for this. Then just sew the pockets on with a 5/8 inch seam allowance and zigzag any raw edges (like the curve you cut.) Turn the pockets and you are done! If you want to attach the top sheet, do it now.

I can usually get great sheets on clearance. Even buying a full-sized set of sheets on clearance is cost effective even if I don’t use the whole set. It just depends on your preferences. I hesitate to give too much information. *snort*

So there it is. My waterbed sheet tutorial. Sorry there are no pictures. I have camera issues.

9 comments:

wette said...

If you had a graphical illustration much better.

Julie said...

I am not sure what you mean by rounding the corner. Are you cutting through the pocket as well as the sheet?

Nelson henry said...

Nice blog, this is what I exactly Looking for, Keep sharing more blog.

waterbed sheet

Charles Graham said...

Nicely described DIY tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

Waterbed sheets
King size waterbed sheets

thomas said...

Thanks for sharing such useful blog. Really! This Blog is very informative for us.

waterbed sheets

geroge said...

Thanks for sharing this information. Much appreciated.

queen size waterbed sheets
waterbed sheets
water bed sheets

Unknown said...

Astounding, your blog is so impressive and great I like that.

waterbed sheets
king size waterbed sheets

Elvin moore said...

I love the quality of content on your blog. The images used gives a better understanding. Thank you for sharing!

waterbed sheets

stephen moore said...

Impressive pillowcase,Nice blog, this is what I exactly Looking for, Keep sharing more blog.Thank you

waterbed sheets